When you have a large camp event planned, you want to have as many people as possible in attendance. While you know that you can’t expect everyone to come, you want to do everything within your ability to get people to your event. Of course, in order to come to your camp, they must first know about it. It is your job to let them know about the event, along with the details of contact information, cost, dates, etc. You have many ways to get the word out.
1) Personal Invitation – You can get the word out about your camp through word of mouth or a personal invitation. If you can get some friendly people to pass the word about your event, you will draw more people. People like to get a personal invitation as it is friendlier and they can trust their friend. Unfortunately, only a limited number of people will be informed through word of mouth. You will need to use other means rather than personally inviting people if you want 100s of people to show up at your event.
2) Offer Incentives – If you want people to come to your camp, promise them the opportunity to receive something. A drawing for a prize or a small gift for everyone will sometimes be just the initiative that people need. It doesn’t have to be expensive, but even a little gift will prompt people to participate.
3) Mailings – This is one of the most effective and oldest ways to draw a crowd to any event. Develop a mailing that is easy to understand that can be sent to people who may be interested in your event. Of course, this will be much easier if you have a data base. If you don’t have a data base, see if you can find one from a similar event or another camp organization.
4) Emails – This is much like regular postage mail except it’s done through emails. Your email should be authentic of some might mistake it for spam. However, a nicely written email that is to the point and friendly will draw people. Give important information about your camp and the advantages of their attendance, rather than a sales pitch.
5) Internet Website – The Internet is used by most people these days. Therefore, it only makes sense to advertise your camp event on your website. If you don’t have one, then this event may be the time to get a site up and running. If you have a website, you can send people there to get more information about the event. In fact, you can even use an online registration service that will link directly to your website. Through your website, people can register for the event, pay and get important information about the event.
It’s tough work to plan a camp event. At first, it will seem overwhelming because there is so much to do. You can get the word out quickly, however, by combining both old and new techniques. Use every possible means to let people know what is going on so that your camp can be a huge success!